Then I took in the sides enough for a more fitted dress.
I could barely get it over my head after taking in the sides, since the fabric is not at all stretchy. So I installed a zipper in one side to fix that.
I added bust darts to reduce the gaping at the armholes.
It was still a little baggy in the belly, so I added a couple darts down the front.
Finally, I used those ripped-out facings to finish the armhole edges.
This dress is perfect for Texas autumn now.
It has the gorgeous fall colors, but it's sleeveless, so I can pair it with a jacket or sweater when there's a chill in the air, or wear it alone on those 80F/27C degree days.