You've actually gotten a sneak peak of today's refashion, though you may not realize it. Let's see if you can figure it out, eh? Here's the before:
Not looking familiar? How about now?
That's right! It's the black pencil skirt I was wearing in my last post!
This dress has been hanging in my closet since last September. I originally bought it as one of my back-up pieces for the Emerald challenge during Refashion Runway 2, but I had no idea what I would do with it and luckily, I didn't end up needing it. You may remember I mentioned recently that I needed a black pencil skirt. Well, I've been brainstorming since then and rummaging through my refashionables looking for the right starting piece. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize this dress was perfect for the task. Be honest though, was "black pencil skirt" the first thing you thought when you saw the before pics? I thought not.
So I got started by picked out the seam around the bottom part of the zipper, where the outer fabric was attached to the skirt.
With that out of the way, I was able to cut off the skirt, cutting right through the zipper as well (make sure your zipper is unzipped with the head at the bottom though, or else you've just rendered your zipper un-unzippable).
I also snipped off the coat hanger loops from the shoulders.
Since the zipper had been sandwiched between the print and black fabrics, it was now exposed on the outside of my skirt.
That's an easy fix! Just pick out the stitches, fold the seam allowances the other direction, and reinstall the zipper on the inside.
I like to fold the tops of the zippers away from each other and stitch them down like that. This makes it less likely that I'll slide the zipper head all the way off (again, un-unzippable). To be perfectly honest, I actually did slide the zipper head off prior to the folding (not the first time I've done that), but, after much cursing and fiddling, was able to get it back on again (possibly the first time I've done that).
With a functional zipper, I was able to try on my new skirt and take in the darts to fit. I wanted a high-waisted skirt, so I hiked it up and took in about 4-6 inches around the top edge.
Finally, I created a very simple folded-over waistband, inserting my hanging loops on each side.
And now I've got that wardrobe basic I was so sorely lacking before.
Hey, these pics look familiar...
Rest assured, I will find something to do with that emerald tribal print fabric.