When I hear "boho," I think lace, florals, loose and flowy fabrics. So when Beth posted this week's Refashion Runway theme, I dove into my refash stash and came up with two excellent candidates: a $2 thrifted 90s floral dress that was too tight across my bosom (though Rosy squeezed into it okay enough) and a frazzled scarf gifted to me by a friend who told me to "just do something with it!"
First we needed to get rid of those giant shoulder pads and ridiculous mutton sleeves! Then I snipped out a few inches of the midsection to create a more well-defined waist and also shorten the skirt a smidge.
In order to enlarge the bust a bit, I cut two rectangles from the sleeves to insert into the side seams.
I attached the inserts using French seams to avoid fraying edges.
I folded the remainder of the sleeves in half and cut out pocket-y shapes.
I used my seam ripper to carefully open up the side seam of the skirt the same length as the pocket pieces, and then attached each of them to the skirt.
Then I sewed around each pocket, first with a straight stitch and again with a zig-zag to "serge" the edges.
Then I reattached the skirt making tiny pleats to absorb the excess fabric. I also used French seams here, but my photo of that seems to have disappeared somehow.
Finally, I took the strip of fabric from the midsection of the original dress, cut it in half lengthwise, and used it to bind the armhole edges, making this a near-zero-waste refashion!
To add a little lace to the outfit, I started in on transforming the scarf into a breezy kimono-style jacket. The lace had come undone in one spot, so first, I stitched that back down.
The unfinished edges were unraveling quite a bit, and there was a faint stain on one end. Hemming the ends solved both issues!
I found the halfway point of the scarf and folded the ends toward it, leaving about 3 inches on either side of the center pin. That 6-inch gap in the middle will become the back of the neck. Then I overlapped the two layers and stitched what will become my shoulder seams.
Along both folds, I cut about 10 inches down from the shoulder seam for a couple generous armholes. Lastly, I hemmed the armhole edges, which was a real challenge with this super gauzy fabric!
And if that didn't make sense, here's a friendly little diagram to better illustrate what I did. I sewed the shoulder seams first and then cut the armholes, but in hindsight, it'd be easier the other way around. My scarf started out around 80in/200cm long and 28in/70cm wide, but you should be able to do this with any large rectangular scarf/shawl.
I can't wait to wear this with my burgundy tights when it gets cooler! Mostly I just can't wait for it to get cooler!