It's definitely on the early end of the '70s - borderline '60s even - but its thin cotton is perfect for the hot and humid weather we've been having this week (hey, it stopped raining finally, so I guess that's an improvement). The sleeves were a little overwhelming though. If only they were slightly shorter, it wouldn't be quite so crazy. Oh wait, I can fix that!
I chopped off the sleeves at their shoulder seams, then laid one on top of the other a few inches down to trace the curve of the shoulder. Then I repeated that on the second sleeve.
Then I inserted the right-side-out sleeve into the inside-out dress, adding a few little pleats at the top to absorb the extra fabric and keep the slightly poofy look the shoulders already had.
The other thing that bugged me was the ribbon at the back neck that holds the dress on a clothes hanger. No matter what I did, it kept popping out when I tried on the dress.
That was an even easier fix than the sleeves. I used my seam ripper to remove the ribbon, cut it half, and sewed the two loops back on at the inside of each shoulder seam.
Ah, that's much better. I decided to turn the belt around as well so it ties in the back.
Dress: $6.50 thrifted and refashioned// Hat: $10 Tuesday Morning // AE sandals: $5 Yerdle // Owl necklace: $5 thrifted // Bracelets: me-made // Fossil earrings: gift from a friend
Let's go see how the other Thrift Style Thursday ladies are flashing back to the '70s this week! Click their pics below to go see their blogs, or the TST logo in the center will take you to our Facebook page.
And don't forget our newest member, Alison!