The first step toward the perfect spring dress was to remove the shoulder pads and the waist ties. Since the latter were merely buttoned on, I just unbuttoned them and then popped off the buttons.
Next I trimmed off the sleeves, leaving about a half-inch of fabric, which was then folded under and sewn like a facing.
Then I chopped off a foot of fabric from the bottom and gave it a new hem.
Sadly, when I tried it on, I realized I had cut it too short, especially for a breezy day. So I reattached the chopped off portion. But I had to do some decorative folds (like the ones I did on this dress) to make the upper hem blend in. So I folded the bottom hem upward about 3 inches and sewed an inch from the fold.
I folded and sewed twice more so that I had two folds just above the hem and two folds a little higher up (one of which was actually the original too-short hem).
Since I *adore* a dress with pockets, I decided to reuse the sleeves to make some simple side-seam pockets. I picked out the side seam for the same length as the sleeve hem. Then the right-side-out sleeve was inserted into the inside-out dress and attached.
After that, I flipped the sleeve/pocket inside-out as well and sewed it closed along what used to be the sleeve cap. Once the side seams were pressed where the pocket openings were, I added some reinforcing top-stitching just above and below the pockets.
This field of little yellow wildflowers seemed a fitting scene to snap some pics this afternoon.
I piled on the yellow accessories - a yellow leather belt, a yellow wooden bangle bracelet, yellow wooden bead earrings, my yellow leather handbag (not pictured because it was weighing down my tripod).
Sadly, I am a bit lacking in the bright yellow shoes department, but my teal sandals filled the void nicely.
Dress: refashioned // Belt: $2 thrifted // Bracelet: $3 Target clearance // Earrings: me-made
Necklace: hand-me-down from a friend // Shoes: $5 Yerdle