Okay, so I realize there is a difference between denim and chambray, but the thing is - I don't care. For the purposes of this series, chambray is close enough to denim.
Now that we have that cleared up, check out this 'before' dress! If it looks familiar, well, it should. I've already remade another dress from the same source, and now it's this one's turn!
I came across this cute little chambray sundress on The Fancy Pants Report, via Pinterest naturally. Her dress came from Target and has adorable little white polka dots all over. My version will be sadly lacking in the polka dots department, but I'm hoping it will still be adorable as well.
My first step was to pluck off those awesome buttons. You won't see them again today, but I have a feeling they'll make an appearance down the road.
Then came disassembly and ironing...
...and heart removal...
...and stain discovery. Ugh.
Then on the pattern drafting. Well, more like very rough sketching, but whatever.
I cut out my pieces, avoiding those stains, of course.
I put together two copies of the bodice, one for the outside and another for a lining.
A few gathers on either side will accommodate the girls.
Setting my bodice aside, I cut off half of the circumference of the original skirt to make my new skirt. From the remainder, I cut four squares for pockets. One square was pinned to the right side of the top edge of the skirt .
I sewed a semi-circle, trimmed the excess, and clipped the seam allowance.
Then I flipped the square over to the inside of the skirt and gave it a good press.
I pinned a second square on top of the first square (but not to the skirt layer) and sewed around the left, right, and bottom edges.
With one pocket complete, I repeated the process on the other hip for a second pocket.
It was about this time, I acquired a helper. She graciously volunteered to take my afternoon nap for me while I continued sewing.
Then it was time to join the skirt to the bodice. With right sides facing, I pinned the skirt to the outer bodice piece, gathering the skirt as I went. Then I added the bodice lining on the other side of the skirt layer.
The skirt was a little on the long side, so I chopped off 4 inches from the bottom.
My next mission was to mimic the detailing around the bottom edge on the original dress. I folded four inches upward toward the wrong side, and sewed about a half-inch from the fold.
Then I folded another inch-and-a-half up and sewed again. And I repeated this twice more, for a total of four little flappy things.
I pressed all the flaps downward.
After that I sewed about a third of the way up the back seam, and installed a zipper on the remaining two-thirds.
The bottom edge of the skirt got a new hem as well.
I opted to add straps to my dress due to my aversion toward strapless bras. I do own one and we tolerate one another on occasion, but we are far from besties. So I took two long strips of fabric, about three inches wide, and sewed them into tubes.
I pressed the seams.
Then I turned them right-side-out and pressed them flat again.
I folded the tops edges of the inner and outer bodice layers toward each other and pinned all the way around, inserting my straps where appropriate.
With a zipper and straps, I was finally able to try on my dress and pinch, pin, and tweak the bust gathers until I had them the way I like them.
I ran a line of stitching straight down the center.
Next I folded along the vertical line of stitching and added a little dart at the top edge.
This will give it a very slight sweetheart neckline.
And we're finished!
I really like how it came out, despite its polka dot deficiency.
I adore the bottom detail.
And hooray for the ability to wear a regular bra!
And here's a look at the zipper up the back.