I don't know why I do this. I see these adorable strapless dresses with the shirred busts and think how cute they are, how comfortable they'll be in the Texas heat, and how easy it'll be to just toss one on and go, without a care in the world!
Then I remember how much boob I have and how strapless dress implies strapless bra. I mean, I couldn't even be bothered to put on my strapless bra for this before picture. What are the odds I'd do so any other day? Yep, pretty darn slim.
So today, this tie-dye number is getting turned into something equally comfy and yet so much more wearable. I plan to flip the whole thing upside to make a batwing-esque blouse with the shirred part as the waistband. First, I picked out the seam where I had previously taken it in as I lost weight. Luckily, I hadn't cut off the extra fabric in this case.
Then I salvaged the hanging straps and the laundering tag, and I chopped off the worn-out part of the shirring. I didn't worry about hemming the raw edge since this is jersey fabric and won't fray.
I measured my upper arm - 11 inches. So I cut up the side seams from the bottom hem to roughly half my arm measurement - about 6 inches to allow for seaming.
I overlapped the front and back of the bottom hem and stitched them together to form the shoulder seams, leaving a hole in the middle for my head, obviously.
Since my new top will have a fairly wide boatneck, I decided to reattach the hanging straps by sticking them into my shoulder seams as I sewed.
Last but not least, I reattached the laundering tag to the inner side seam.
Just as I suspected - super comfy!
Now I need to go through my refash stash for more shirred-bust dresses. I want more tops like this!