Hey look, it's another one of those unflattering, strapless, shirred dresses I always fall for and then never wear. Whatever shall I do with this one...
I began by lopping off the shirred portion, after salvaging the hanging straps and the elastic from the top (I don't plan to use them today - I just try to salvage anything that could be of use in future projects). This left me with two big squares. And this fabric is super stretchy, so it'll be perfect for a no-fuss basic tee.
I pinned a new flared side seam and a very simple flat sleeve (where the pins make a 90 degree turn in the background). No need to get fancy with such stretchy fabric.
I also marked where I wanted my neck hole to be between the shoulder seams.
Then I sewed everything twice...
...before trimming the excess fabric. I also trimmed off the original serged edge where my new arm opening will be.
Finally, I tried it on and wasn't thrilled with the flared sides (a little maternity-y), so I took them in again with a much less dramatic flare.
Super simple, basic tee.
Couldn't be easier.