Last Sunday was my brother's birthday. We've got this thing going where I make him a different geeky, crafty gift every year, and this year was no exception. He's a big fan of Breaking Bad, so I set out to create some not-so-fuzzy dice, like the kind you hang from your rear view mirror, only not fuzzy. And they'll have the bromine (Br) and barium (Ba) symbols on them, like the opening credits to the show. I gathered my materials:
Fat quarter (18" x 22") of green cotton fabric
White twill iron-on patch (because I couldn't find iron-on letters in the right font)
Interfacing (not the fusible kind, but you can if you want)
5 feet of white yarn
I drew my letters on the white patch and carefully cut them out.
I cut my green fabric into 24 pieces roughly 3.25 inches square and my interfacing into 12 3-inch squares. Following the instructions on the patch packaging, I ironed my letters onto two of the green squares.
I then sandwiched each piece of interfacing between two pieces of green fabric and pinned them into place.
So now I've go 12 fabric sandwiches, two of which have letters on them.
I began piecing my squares together into two "T" shapes.
Before closing up the cubes though, I stopped to make a cord to connect to two dice. I cut my 5 feet of yarn into three 20-inch pieces. I knotted one end, pinned it to my jeans, and braided the strands fairly tightly.
I folded up my cubes, sewing one edge seam at a time (with increasing awkwardness that makes it very difficult to photograph) until only one edge was left open. I then carefully flipped the cube right-side-out and hand-stitched the last seam, inserting my braided cord into one corner of each die.
I have a sneaking suspicion my brother liked them.