This weekend's project had to be a quick one since I had other important things to do. So I grabbed a pair of jeans I've had for a couple years now. I'd altered them once already, but now the bottom hems were getting pretty ragged. I felt it was time to give them a new life. And yes, I forgot to remove my phone from my pocket before taking photos. Oops.
First, while wearing the jeans, I marked my minimum comfortable skirt length with a safety pin. Then I cut about 1.5 inches below that to allow for gradual fraying/trimming.
I cut open the legs, removing the welted inseam entirely.
I used my seam ripper to open the front seam up to about half an inch below the zipper, and I ripped out the back seam to about the same height (though I went back later and opened up the back seam about an inch or so further in order to remove some more excess fabric).
With the skirt inside out and folded along the front and back center seams, I trimmed straight down and pinned my new front seam...
...and my new back seam.
I folded over the seam allowances on the inside and top-stitched two lines to try to mimic the original welted seams in the front...
...and in the back. Obviously, they don't match exactly, but I suppose if anyone gets close enough to notice, they've got other problems. Namely, my fist.