I'm an overly cautious person. Always have been. So I like to have a Plan B, in case things don't work out the first time. I did this during Season Two - thrifted multiple themed and plan to continue to do so for the current season as well. In fact, for the velvet challenge, the project I submitted in the end was actually Plan C. Plan B was an utter disaster. As my husband put it, I looked like I was headed for a renaissance festival... to play the jester. Okay, so maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but certainly it wasn't competition worthy, or even Internet worthy for that matter. What follows was Plan A, which turned out fine, but I didn't feel it had that "wow" factor needed for the contest. It began with this lovely smocked velvet robe.
I began by removing the collar, then the zipper, then the cuffs, and then the sleeves.
I cut open the sleeves and began draping them on my dress form to experiment with different ideas. I ended up going with something similar to this.
Going back to the rest of the robe, I opened up the side seams, down to wear the pockets were attached, and cut off the upper back. I sewed the back to the front panels along the sides and shoulders, which I utterly failed to document, then I hemmed the front edges of the front panels.
Next I chopped off the smocked yoke. I tried to pick out the smocking to salvage that fabric, but it was really tedious and left the fabric with little holes. So, sadly, I just tossed it. I removed the pockets (I know, that doesn't sound like me at all, but I was worried about too much bulk at the hips) and restitched the side seams. Next, I folded my skirt at the center back so the front edges were aligned and cut a curve around the front corners.
I rehemmed the skirt from the top of the front edge, down the curved corner, around the bottom of the back, and all the way up the other front edge. Then I attached the bodice to the skirt, making sure I had my top front panels and my skirt edges overlapping in the same direction so it would look like a faux wrap dress in the end. A little elastic at the waist, and I was finished!
I really do like it and will wear it once it gets cooler, but as I said, I wasn't sure it had the umph the make the cut.
If you haven't cast you vote yet for the velvet challenge, there's still time! Voting ends Friday, so be sure to check out all the entries soon and pick your favorite!