As summer burns hotter and hotter each day, I find myself in need of more lightweight, breezy dresses to keep as cool as possible. I actually made this dress several weeks ago, but only just got around to snapping pics. It all started with this $3 damaged dress with the most adorable floral pattern and that silly high-low hem that was, for reasons still unclear to me, so popular for a while there.
For a quick conversion, I decided to simply join the skirt to an existing t-shirt. So I rummaged through my dresser and came up with this purple tee, which I very seldom wear. It coordinates perfectly with the purple flowers in the dress' pattern.
First, I carefully snipped the skirt from its torso, just under the ruched waistband. I also separated the bust portion from the waistband and salvaged the elastic from inside.
Next, I tried on the shirt and marked where I wanted to cut it. Then I did so. I stuck the right-side-out shirt inside the inside-out skirt and began pinning the two together, first at the side seams, then the center front and center back, then half-way between each pin, and so on and so forth until the excess floral fabric was nicely gathered.
Then I added in the salvaged elastic too before serging it all together.
Finally, I had to even out the hemline with a simple trim, serge, press, and stitch.
Ahhh... that's better!
I've already worn this a number of times since I made it. Super comfy!
Stick around to see what I did with the top portion of the floral dress!