My father-in-law has had this corduroy jacket for years now. It's been very well-loved, and as a result, its lining was worn and tattered, coming apart at the seams and the edges. My mother-in-law asked if I could possibly repair it for his birthday last month.
As I snipped out the damaged lining, I was able to see just how many times it had already been patched - at least three. While I was dis-assembling, I also salvaged the original tag, thinking I would reattach it, but I ended up going a different direction. You'll see.
I carefully cut apart the panels of the lining, labelling each piece as I went. Then I used those as a pattern to cut my new fabric (adding seam allowances, of course) and then reassembled the whole thing.
Instead of reattaching the original tag, I decided to give it a bit more of a personal touch. My FIL calls this his "Mr. McGregor" jacket because it reminds him of Mr. McGregor from the Peter Rabbit books he used to read to his children when they were little. I knew just what to do! I grabbed a scrap of fabric and an embroider hoop and penciled on my text. Then I used my matching sewing thread, doubled, and traced the letters with a chain stitch.
Since recreating the interior pocket would have been a bit more involved, and since it was still in pretty good shape, I decided to simply attach my new lining around the pocket. I laid the piece of original lining on top of my new fabric and snipped out where the pocket would be. Then I hand-stitched on my new label just below the pocket slit.
Now I could finally attach the new lining to the outer corduroy fabric. First, I machine-sewed along the bottom edge. Then I flipped the lining upward, inserted the sleeve lining into the sleeves and pinned around all the edges.
Then I hand-stitched it all together, trying to make my stitches as even and invisible as possible.
I hear he likes his new-old jacket very much, especially the personalized label. So glad I could make this special birthday gift for him!