While I had capes on the brain this past weekend, I also came across this cute little skirt in my refash stash. If it had been a hair larger, and if I were **coughcough** years younger, I may have worn it as is. But alas, it did not fit my size or my age.
So I carefully picked out the button, zipper, waistband, and all the way down the center back seam.
The edges of the opened seam were re-hemmed.
Then I draped it over my dressform inside out and pinned my new shoulder seams.
Since I don't have a serger, I zig-zagged along the seam to keep the fabric from fraying.
Then I top-stitched for a nice, finished look.
I cut a rounded neckline in the back...
...and the front.
Then I made a collar pattern from an old paper bag and cut out my pieces from the leftover bits of black velvet blazer.
I cut the same shape from the velvet and the lining and sandwiched them together with right sides facing.
I only sewed around the outer edge though, then clipped the seam allowance to reduce the bulk when it gets turned right-side-out.
To attach it, I pinned and sewed only the collar lining to the neck edge of the cape.
Then I tuck the raw edge into the collar and folded the velvet toward the inside of the cape. Then I zig-zagged again to prevent fraying and trimmed as close to the stitches as possible.
Now all my cape needs is a closure. I snipped the ends off the waistband I salvaged from the skirt.
I folded the edges to the inside and stitched them up.
And finally, I sewed each tab to the front edges of my cape, just below the collar.
It's the perfect extra layer for those cool-but-not-cold days.