My friend came over the other day with a big box of clothes, some from her own under-grown wardrobe, some from other friends' closets. In it, I found this lovely batik fabric currently in the form of a 2XL skirt.
I swear, I was more excited about it than this picture lets on.
The elastic was pretty much shot, so step one was to chop off that waistband.
Once it was all spread out, there was a grand total of 12 feet of fabric around the top - more than enough for two dresses! So I cut it up both side seams.
I re-stitched one half into its own tube to make a sleeveless summer dress.
Since I knew I'd need more fabric in front for The Girls than I'd need in the back, I broke out the measuring tape. I measured up from the bottom of the back of my bra band to where I wanted the top of the back of the dress to sit. Then I did the same in front, from the underwire, around one of my breasts, up to where I wanted the front of the dress to be. The difference between the two measurements was 4 inches, so I cut the top of the back down by about 4 inches and slowly sloped upward toward the front. (Here it's folded in half lengthwise so you see the front height versus the back height.) If you aren't as... overly burdened as I am, you probably won't need to cut off quite as much.
Then I folded over the top edge to make a casing. I left a small opening in the back to insert some new elastic (I say new, but it was actually salvaged from another refashion project).
I used a safety pin to help feed the new elastic through its casing. Then I stitched the ends together.
Finally, I sewed up that hole I had left in the back of the casing.
Since, as I said, there was enough material for two dresses, and since the process was so simple, I went ahead and turned the second half of the skirt into a second dress, which I plan to donate.
No point in me hoarding that fabric that would be so close to being wearable. Might as well put in five more minutes of effort and let someone else have a new dress as well.