Here's another piece from the clothes swap last autumn - a stunning early 90s number in navy floral with a quaint little lace collar.
Reminds me of a little girl I once knew...
I don't recall the occasion for the portraits, but if memory serves, I believe the dress was originally purchased for Easter. All the more reason my newly-acquired dress was the perfect choice for a holiday cookout this afternoon.
I began by chopping off the sleeves.
Then I cut a sweetheart-ish neckline across the front and straight across the back.
I took in the existing darts a bit just above the bust. Don't want to be flashing anyone when I lean over.
I finished the top edge with a new hem.
I pressed the pleats out of the sleeves and cut one 8"x18" rectangle from each.
Each rectangle was sewn into a tube, then turned right-side-out.
I folded the ends inward and closed them up.
I scrunched each end of my new straps a little before attaching them to the top edge of the front and back of the dress.
I trimmed about five inches off the bottom...
...and rehemmed the edge.
Finally, I used the 5-inch strip from the bottom to make a sash. Just like the straps, I simply sewed the strip into a very long tube, turned it right-side-out, and closed up the ends.
And then it was off to consume mass quantities of deviled eggs!
Sadly, there were no chocolate bunnies.
Nor any plastic eggs full of candy.
But I managed to have a good time anyway.