As a supplement to this week's Refashion Runway Peplum challenge (have you voted yet?), I present to you this perfectly-presentable-yet-blah-and-boring tweed pencil skirt.
If I recall correctly, I originally got it last autumn's clothes swap, and I was so excited to have some professional attire that actually fit. Fast forward a year and about 20 pounds later, and it no longer fits quite right. It's a bit baggie and rides a bit too low on my hips, making it unflattering and potato-sack-esque.
I decided to turn this ho-hum skirt into a cute top. I began with dis-assembly, measuring, and sketching, including a doodle of how I needed to arrange the pieces to make the most of a significantly smaller fabric supply than the "before" of the peplum dess.
With all the planning done, I cut out my main body pieces - front and back of both outer and lining fabric.
Next came the waist darts - two per panel.
And just when you thought I was finished with darts, I added more darts! One of each side of the inner and outer fronts, to accommodate the twins.
Then I sewed one side seam, lining to lining and tweed to tweed.
On the other side, I re-installed my salvaged zipper, sandwiching it between the outer and inner fabrics.
Then it was time to attach the tweed and lining to one another along the armhole and collar edges, making sure the right sides of each fabric were facing each other.
Notice that slit at the top of the back? That's where the zipper originally was, and I planned to maintain the slit so as to be able to fit my ginormous noggin through the neck hole. I'll just finished it off with a button and loop at the top. So I salvaged a little rectangle from my minuscule scrap pile and pressed the edges inward.
I folded it in half and stitched down the length of it.
Then I pinned my new loop in between the tweed and lining.
Then I snipped the inside curves and cut wedges out of the outer corners in preparation to flip the whole thing inside out.
I pressed all the way around.
Then came the shoulder seams. I folded the edges of the front shoulder inward and inserted the back shoulder into that. Then I top-stitched across.
I top-stitched all the way around my arm and neck edges for a nice, clean finish.
With the top finished, I turned my attention to the bottom edge. I attached the inner and outer pieces of the original waistband to the bottom of my new shirt. This means the laundering tag was reattached as well, making my inner crazyperson go "squee!"
Once that was sewn, I pressed my waistband downward.
Now it's time some peplum action. This piece was originally the bottom hem of my pencil skirt, the ends being where the back slit was.
I gave it three pleats with my iron - one on each side and one at the center back.
Then I stitched it to the inner layer of the waistband.
Finally, I pinned the outer layer of the waistband to it and top-stitched around to secure it in place.
I even top-stitch the edges of the pleats, just a bit, to keep them pleated.
Then I put it on and did a little dance in my front yard.
I called it The Peppy Peplum Dance.
Ask me sometime. Maybe I'll show you the steps.
Check out that zipper!
And the wee little button!