So now that you know what I've been up to, I hope you can forgive me for my relative scarcity lately, and probably for a little while yet to come. Now let's get to today's refashion!
I picked up this little cotton skirt at a clothes swap a while back. I was kinda weirded out by the bottom border though. It just doesn't look like it belongs on the rest of the skirt. But that's all one piece of fabric, printed that way. Strange, huh?
So my first step was to chop that sucker off!
My plan is to make it a blouse, keeping the original waistband as the waistband, but upside down. So I turned it inside out and took in the sides of both the printed fabric and the white lining. But I stopped my side seams about 8-10 inches from the top for my new armholes.
I trimmed and hemmed the top corners of the back to be the width of my shoulders.
For the front, I unbuttoned a couple buttons and gathered each side in a sort of fan-fold manner. Then I gave it a quick stitch to secure it.
Finally, I used the remnants trimmed from my new side seams to create the straps. Each piece was folded in half lengthwise with right sides together and sewn along the edges to create a tube. Then I flipped the tube right-side out and placed one end over the raw edges of my fan-folded fronts. Then I stitched the other end of each tube to the back panel.
And behold, a new cotton top to pair with a cardigan this spring, or wear on its own this summer.